- Mandatory Requirement
- Why EKU Requires Health Insurance?
- Insurance for Dependents
- Provider and Health Insurance Policy
Health insurance coverage is mandatory for every international student on an F-1 or a J-1 visa enrolled at Eastern Kentucky University (EKU). All international students will be automatically enrolled in the Eastern Kentucky University's health insurance plan at the time of class registration. The charge for coverage will be automatically added to your bill each semester.
- Unlike many other countries, the United States does not provide free health care; individuals are responsible for all costs of their health care.
- Health care in the United States is very costly. The cost of medical treatment and hospitalization in the U.S. can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.
- Having health insurance will help to minimize the costs and cover any medical expenses that may impact your ability to complete your studies while attending EKU.
Under limited circumstances, some international students may apply and be granted a waiver from EKU health insurance requirement if they:
- Have EKU athletic health insurance coverage.
- Are fully sponsored by their governments (including health insurance coverage).
- Are exchange students fully sponsored by U.S. based organizations such as Intstitute of International Education (IIE) etc.
- Are students receiving health insurance coverage through their U.S. spouses’ or parents' employers.
To apply for a waiver you must fill out the Health Insurance Waiver Form and submit proof of insurance coverage before the semester deadline to be considered for the waiver. You will be notified via email about approval or denial of your application.
If insurance coverage is not valid for the entire academic year, then you must submit a new Health Insurance Waiver Form each semester. Please note that submitting a waiver application does not guarantee that a waiver will be granted.
- Spring Smemester: January 4th
- Fall Semester: August 1st
- Summer Semester: May 1st
Note: If you fail to submit the waiver form by the deadline, insurance charges may stay on your account. We encourage you to apply for the waiver as soon as you are enrolled for clasess!
Submit the following documents to be considered for a waiver. Failure to submit these documents can lead to denial of your waiver request.
- Health Insurance Waiver Form
- Copy of your health insurance ID card (or written verification of coverage from the insurance company or employer)
- Copy of Scholarship Letter showing coverage for health insurance
You are strongly encouraged to buy health insurance for your dependents (i.e. spouse and children). If you are currently enrolled in the EKU sponsored health insurance, you may be able to add your dependents in the same plan.
However, your dependents will not be automatically enrolled in the plan. You must fill out EKU- Dependent Insurance Coverage Form and pay the insurance fee online for your dependent's health insurance separately and directly to Cultural Insurance Services International.
- EKU Health Insurance is provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).
Below is the cost for the 2016-2017 health insurance rate. Please note that the cost for health insurance will be added to your student tuition and fee bill each semester.
|SEMESTER||PARTICIPANT||COST||DURATION OF COVERAGE|
|FALL||Student||$ 595.57||August 1, 2016 - Dec. 31, 2016|
|SPRING||Student||$ 595.57||January 1, 2017 - July 31, 2017|
|SUMMER*||Student||$ 397.25||May 1, 2017 - July 31, 2017|
* Please note, the summer rate only applies to students beginning their programs of studies in the summer.