Orientation & Immigration Check-in
Welcome to Eastern Kentucky University! The International Student Orientation program is MANDATORY for all new international students (undergraduate, graduate and exchange students) attending the University in F or J visa statuses, including students who are transferring from other U.S educational institutions.
During the International Student Orientation, you will learn about immigration regulations, services available to students, American educational system and much more. You will also get the opportunity to meet and make friends with other new international students from around the world.
Accompanying family members are welcome to attend the orientation, even though most activities are designed explicitly for students.
All new international students in F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant statuses are required to check in with the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) upon their arrival in Richmond. Failure to check in with OISSS may result in the loss of your legal immigration status in the United States.
Please bring the following documents and information to the International Student Orientation or to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services to check-in:
- Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
- Form I-94. Click here to retrieve your I-94 record (Can only be printed AFTER your arrival in the United States).
- Address and Emergency Contact Information
All first-time undergraduate international students (or freshmen) who have not taken the ACT test or taken, but scored below EKU requirement are required to take EKU placement tests before they can enroll for classes. Students take EKU placement tests to:
- Show proficiency in basic skills (developmental skills) in English, mathematics, or reading.
- Demonstrate skills needed for Algebra with Applications (MAT 112) or College Algebra (MAT 114). If your program requires you to take MAT 112 or MAT 114 and your ACT Math score is less than 22, or you have not taken the ACT test, then you will need to take the MAT 112 or MAT 114 placement test.
Placement testing time is set up as part of International Student Orientation.
Spring Semester 2018
International Student Orientation begins on Wednesday, January 10, 2018. All new undergraduate, graduate, and exchange students, including transfer students are required to attend the mandatory International Student Orientation. Here is the International Student Orientation schedule:
Monday & Tuesday, Janaury 8-9
All Day: Airport Pick-ups and Dorm Move-in
We expect you to arrive on January 8 or January 9 to get free airport pick-up and early dorm move-in. Therefore, please make your travel plans and other arrangements accordingly.